Saturday, July 3, 2010

Love is ongoing....

Tomorrow is my husband's (James) birthday.  Coincidentally, as I was clearing off some book cases, I came across a journal I had made for him for his birthday seven years ago.  It has a photo on the front cover of the Colloseum in Rome, the "Colossea ed Arco di Constantino" in Italy, a place we still plan to see together.  My husband was turning 53 then, we had been married four years at the time and had a one year old child together, along with my then six year old son. I should point out there is a 21 year age difference between James and I.  Keep in mind, all fabulous relationships don't have to fit the mold of what other people think is the norm.

So, back to the journal...

The book was filled with 53 reasons I loved him, one reason per page.  I filled it with photos and all kinds of personal memories sincere, simple and silly. Some personal things I knew only he would get or laugh at, as well as more general observations of how he spent time with the family. Each page was a demonstration of something he does to make my life richer.

So anyway...

As I read through the pages, now seven years later, I found myself saying, "he still does that one" and yep, "that one too."  As a matter of fact, he still is and does everything today that he did back then that makes me so happy.  It made me think of all of the "experts" and countless others who say marriages fizzle out, honeymoons end and bliss is only in the beginning.  Don't believe it.

Marriage and relationships are what you make them, what both of you make them.  Just like I am always telling people to live their dreams, that they can achieve anything with hard work and gratitude, such is the same with the people we surround ourselves with.  Value yourself and do not settle for a relationship that does not feed you, that you do not want to feed.

My husband is my hot "60" tomorrow and is still my Prince Charming.  Just the other morning, as he kissed me goodbye before he left for work, my head still drowsy on the pillow, he reached over to lower the blind it's last quarter inch, so the morning sun wouldn't disturb what was left of my morning slumber. He whispered, "there's fresh coffee, call me later, I love you."  It's the little things.  That morning is worthy of two more pages....

So remember to appreciate the one you love, celebrate the little things, and if you are not there yet, be confident that someone will be there for you too, if you want them to be.  Before long, you too could have someone lowering the blinds for you...

1 comment:

  1. Precious.

    Simply precious.

    My hubby, is amazing too. First off he puts up with me...lol

    But your coffee already being made, makes me think of how hubby brings me a grande in a venti cup - filled to the top with cold soy...just so I can wake up. This is after he drives the baby 25 miles to school and back. He loves me. It will be two years in August.

    ReplyDelete