Monday, June 7, 2010

April's Upwords: When the present brings you down, act on the future...works everytime!

When the present brings you down, act on the future...works everytime. 

 I'll be the first to admit that it is not always easy being on the sunny side of every situation.  Truth is, I get dragged down just like everyone else (today was trying to say the least!).  It is because I am such an optimist, however, that I am able to take a difficult situation and only let it affect me for minutes or hours versus days. So how am I able to do that?

Three things break up the dark clouds for me:

1.)  Perspective.  I have to keep perspective, things could be a lot worse.  Is my problem really worth the distress I am feeling?  I often think back to right after my business (Beanstalks) went under.  Obviously, I was devastated and not sure what was next for me or my family.  During that time, as now, the news was filled with the wars going on in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I was watching the nightly news one evening and it showed a video of a woman in an open market, holding onto the hand of her son who looked to be about six years old.  She was running away from an exploding building behind her, and the fear in her eyes for her child is an image that has yet to leave me.  No matter what I am going through personally, financially, whatever...I am not going through what she is, and I bet she would give anything to feel the safety that I get to feel everyday. Makes my problem not so big.


2.)  Gratitude.  Another of my April's Upwords is "It is impossible to feel down when you are being grateful" (a whole other blog!).  I always have something, many things to be thankful for.  It is so important to think about what you have and truly appreciate that you have it.  My family is healthy, my marriage is terrific...I'm here, I'm breathing and I am building a future.  If today is a downer, think about what you get to do tomorrow. Did your car break down?  Well, be thankful you even have a car and make a plan to  get a better one.  Really believe in what comes next and how you deserve to receive it.  Open yourself to gratitude and open the possibilities to a brighter future. Make a plan for what you want,  take that first step to get there, and then be grateful for the ability to make that plan.

3.)  Go with what you know.  Knowledge is power.  I will say it so many times on this blog you will be sick of reading it.  Know the decisions you are making for yourself are beneficial.  If they aren't, than know it is time to change them.  Learn. Know. Do.  If you are having a lousy time of it, you must know that you will get out of it. If you aren't yet sure of a solution, you must know you will do what it takes to find it. Don't forget how smart you are, how capable you are.  Look for resources.  Find a way.  Be empowered by knowing.

If today is a drag, act on tomorrow.  Perspective. Gratitude. Knowledge.  This is how I clear my dark clouds...and if I can, I throw in a latte and a litle dark chocolate...


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment